Note to self: REMEMBER THIS
This is an excellent PSA. Writers and artists of Tumblr, just do your own thing. Some people will like it, some people won’t. Not everyone will like it, and you don’t have to put your head into a blender when that happens. Just remember the cardinal rules.
1. Don’t try to be like anyone else or follow their style. Heed your own voice. Don’t be a second-rate Neil Gaiman, be a first-rate YOU.
2. Don’t quit. The most successful writers and artists I know aren’t necessarily the most talented, but they are the most persistent.
3. It’s natural to feel self-doubt. Recognise it for what it is: a push to improve yourself and never stay stagnant. If you don’t hear your inner critic at all, that means your ego has completely taken over and is romping around like a T-Rex on the loose.
4. Don’t compare yourself to others. Easier said than done, I know, I do it all the time. “Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself.”
5. Don’t forget: this is all supposed to be fun. The moment it stops being fun, then it’s time to either move on to something else, or re-examine your motives.
Reblogging for the late-night crowd who may have missed it, and for this awesome commentary. :)